Proclamations and Special Presentations
Presentations to City Council
City Council appreciates the opportunity to hear updates from citizen groups or agencies affiliated with the City to report on recent or upcoming community events and activities. City Council meets every Monday (1st and 3rd Monday at 7:00 p.m. and 2nd and 4th Monday at 6:30 p.m.).
Requests to make City Council presentations should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the preferred Council Meeting date. City Staff and the Mayor will review requests to make a presentation during an upcoming City Council meeting, and City Staff will notify applicant if an opportunity is available at the meeting. If such an opportunity is not available, the applicant group is welcome to speak during any regularly scheduled Citizen Forum (during Consent Meetings on 2nd and 4th Mondays, 6:30 p.m.) to provide a brief report to the Council.
Proclamations are a special way to recognize an organization, person, cause or special event. They should generally be related to a community benefit or organization, or City of Vancouver operations.
The City receives many requests to present both new and annually recurring proclamations each and every month. As such, formal presentation of proclamations at City Council meetings is limited. Please send a request for a proclamation one month in advance of the preferred Council meeting or event to ensure adequate time for review.
Requests for proclamations will be reviewed by City Staff and the Mayor, after which the City will provide notification of how the proclamation will be presented. If a formal presentation at a City Council meeting is available, the expectation is there will be at least one representative on hand to receive the proclamation from the Mayor, and that representative will make brief comments. Council meets every Monday (1st and 3rd Mondays at 7:00 p.m.; 2nd and 4th Mondays at 6:30 p.m.), except on recognized Monday holidays.
Instructions for accepting proclamations and recognition at a City Council meeting:
- Proclamations and recognitions are presented at the beginning of the meeting. It is advised that you arrive a few minutes beforehand.
- If you or anyone in your party has mobility issues, please let the Mayor’s Office know beforehand so we can have staff deliver the proclamation or recognition to you. A hand-held microphone can be made available.
- The Mayor will begin by reading all or a portion of the proclamation/recognition. At that time, you may come forward and accept the proclamation, then say a few words at the testimony table. You may bring others with you.
- Please identify yourself and anyone else with you by name and your organization and title. You may make brief comments up to three minutes.
- After accepting the proclamation or recognition, you may be seated or feel free to leave the meeting.
If a formal presentation at a City Council meeting is not available, the proclamation will be mailed. However, a representative is welcome to attend any Citizen Forum to make comments about a proclamation.
If you have any questions, please contact Amanda Delapena at (360) 487-8605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.