Due to public demand, on Oct. 5, 2015, the Vancouver City Council passed an ordinance banning sales and use of personal fireworks within the city limits.
Consumer Fireworks are Illegal in Vancouver
The Fire Marshal encourages citizens to enjoy the safe & family friendly fireworks show at the Historic Fort Vancouver.
Individuals who discharge consumer fireworks inside the Vancouver City limits are subject to fines starting at $500.00.
Fireworks are still sold in Clark County. Make sure you plan to discharge them in accordance with the rules and regulations in place outside the Vancouver City limits.
Permits for special fireworks displays inside the Vancouver City limits (High school graduations, weddings, etc.) may be approved by submitting an application form from the Washington State Patrol. These displays must be conducted by a licensed pyrotechnic operator and must meet the following terms and conditions from the Vancouver Municipal Code:
VMC 16.20.030 Terms and conditions for issuance of a permit for a public firework's display. Application to put on a public display of fireworks shall be made to the Fire Chief or his or her designee. The application shall be made at least 10 days prior to the event.
The application shall be made on forms provided by the Washington State Director of Fire Protection and include the following information:
- The name of the sponsor if different than the applicant.
- The date the display is to be held.
- The exact location of the display.
- The name and license number of the pyrotechnic operator who is to supervise discharge of the fireworks and the name of at least one experienced assistant.
- The number of set pieces, shells (specify single or multiple break), and other items.
- The manner and place of storage of such fireworks prior to the display.
- A diagram of the grounds on which the display is to be held showing the point of which the fireworks are to be discharged, the location of all buildings, highways, and other lines of communication, the lines behind which the audience will be restrained, the location of all nearby trees, telegraph or telephone lines, or other overhead obstruction.
- Documentary proof of commercial general liability insurance naming the City of Vancouver as an additional insured.
Remember that buying fireworks on a reservation is equivalent to buying them in another country. Fireworks sold on tribal lands may not conform to state regulations and may not be legal in Clark County or Washington State