Records Disclosure Policy
The City of Vancouver defines a public record as any writing containing information relating to the conduct of government or the performance of any governmental or proprietary function prepared, owned, used, or retained by any state or local agency regardless of physical form or characteristics.
Public Records Act
The City of Vancouver complies with the Public Records Act (RCW 42.56).
Public Records Officer
The City Clerk and City Attorney will designate a Public Records Officer to oversee compliance.
Response to Records Request
Within five business days of receipt of the request, the Public Records Officer or designee will do one of the following:
- Make the records available for inspection or copying.
- Send copies to requestor if payment has been received or waived.
- Provide a reasonable timeline of when the records will be available.
- Contact the requestor to request clarification.
- Deny the request citing a reason for denial.
If a requestor does not receive a response within five days, he or she should contact the Public Records Officer to determine the reason for the delay.
Public Records Availability
The City of Vancouver makes public records available upon request. The Public Records Officer can receive public record requests in several different ways: 1) by receipt of a public record request form provided by the City; 2) by mail; 3) by email; 4) by fax; or 5) orally. The Public Records Officer or designee is responsible for memorializing all oral requests.
Public records are available for inspection and access subject to the following conditions:
- Review of records for applicable legal exemptions and confidentiality requirements.
- Dated request includes name, address, and contact information of requestor.
- Description of public records adequate to locate the records.
- Inspection and copying occurs on city premises during normal business hours.
- Public records may not be removed, disassembled, or altered.
- We do not disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes.
- (RCW 42.56.070(9))
- For large requests, copies may be provided in installments.
- For large reproduction requests, an outside vendor may be used and requestor will need to pay the vendor directly for costs.
The City of Vancouver provides space to inspect records.
Records are made available during normal business hours, excluding holidays.
The City of Vancouver charges for copies and mailings. We follow the unified fee schedule:
|Black & White Copies (per side)||$0.15|
|Color Copies (8 ½” x 11”)||$0.52 (actual costs)|
|Mailings||Actual cost of postage|
|Other Media||Actual cost of production|
The City of Vancouver may require a deposit of up to 10% for the estimated costs of copying all the records selected by the requester and may require full payment before providing the records.
We do not charge for retrieval or inspection of public records.
Each Department Manager will designate a public disclosure request coordinator to oversee requests for their department. The coordinator will respond to requests and maintain a log of such requests.