The Mighty Bowl food truck at Esther Short Park

Special Licenses

In accordance with Title 5 Vancouver Municipal Code (VMC), some businesses are required to hold a city special license in addition to  a city business license.  The best way to confirm whether or not you need a special license is to contact Business Licensing section - email: or call: (360) 487-8410 ext 3.

The more common special licenses are listed below and on the Special Licenses Application.  For a complete list of all required city special licenses see Title 5 VMC.

     Solicitor/Peddler Permit.  All persons -- including principals and agents, as well as employers and employees -- who sell, offer for or expose for sale, or who shall trade, deal or traffic in any personal property or services in the city by going from house to house or from place to place or by indiscriminately approaching individuals must hold a Solicitor/Peddler Permit.

     Taxicab Co/TNC Special License.  Prior to operating a taxicab business (picking up fares) in the city, each taxicab company and transportation network company (TNC) is required to obtain a Taxicab Company/TNC Special License from the city as set forth in the new VMC 5.76, Taxi Code.  (This special license not apply to individuals contracted to drive for taxicab companies or TNCs.)

     Ambulance Service Special License.  Prior to operating an ambulance service in the City, each ambulance vendor must hold a city Ambulance Service Special License, by submitting a completed Ambulance Service Special License Application to the city, along with the required attachments, and $200 annual fee.  Contact the city at (360) 487-8410 ext 3 for a copy of the application.

Billboard $25 per panel - annually, expires December 31
Bill Posting/Handbills Distribution $10 per person - quarterly
Bowling Alley $50 first lane, $25 each additional lane - annually, expires December 31
Dance - Cabaret/Tavern $450 per establishment - annually, expires December 31
Dance - Public Dance Hall  $50 per establishment - quarterly
Dance - Public Dance Hall, Single Event $25 per event
Food Vendor $25 each vehicle/stand/booth - annually, expires December 31 (must also comply with applicable Clark County Health Dept regulations and City Street Use Permit regulations)
Junk Dealer $50 per location, $25 per vehicle - annually, expires December 31
Motion Picture Theater

Based on seating capacity – annually, expires December 31

  • ≤500 persons:             $150
  • 501-1,000 persons:     $200
  • 1,001-1,500 persons:  $250
Panorama - Premises $100 per establishment - annually, expires December 31
Panorama - Devise $50 per device - annually, expires December 31
Pawnbroker $400 per establishment - biennually, expires December 31
Recyclable Material Collector $50 per vehicle - annually, expires December 31
Secondhand Dealer $100 per dealer - annually, expires December 31