By Felix Weihs de Weldon
Location: On loan to the Southwest Washington Medical Center
Mother Joseph of the Sacred Heart (1823-1902) was a Canadian Religious Sister who led a group of four sisters from her congregation to Vancouver, Washington, in 1856.
Once here, under her leadership, they established a network of schools and hospital facilities to service the American settlers in that new and remote part of the country. Mother Joseph was responsible for the completion of eleven hospitals, seven academies, five schools for Native American children, and two orphanages throughout an area that now encompasses Washington, northern Oregon, Idaho, and Montana.
Our Mother Joseph is a replica of statues that stand in the State Capitol in Olympia and in the National Statuary Hall at the United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. Sculptor Felix Weihs de Weldon created the original.
Mother Joseph Statue
400 Northeast Mother Joseph PlaceVancouver, WA 98664