Volunteer guides lead hikes and help Forever Young Hike program participants and staff. Hikes are offered on a weekly basis to people age 50 and over, on Mondays and Tuesdays.
To apply for this position contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 360-487-8344 or fill out an application online.
Duties & Responsibilities
Provide a safe hike environment and experience for participants. Guides may be asked to help research and plan new hikes and to evaluate trails. Be prepared to activate an emergency action plan if necessary. Complete incident/accident reports, share ideas, comments and suggestions for future hike planning and program growth.
- Ability to research, develop and plan hikes:
- Confirm that hikes meet the FYH program criteria.
- Know the driving route to the hike and total round-trip mileage.
- Be familiar with and have directions to the location of the trailhead.
- Understand trail condition, length and total elevation change.
- Obtain Forest Service Contact Information for the trail.
- Plan the location of lunch stop on winter hikes.
- Ability to complete vehicle logs and prep vehicles before and after hikes.
- Have previous hiking experience and some knowledge of the local area.
- Be available to participate, provide support and assist with most hikes and attend meetings when needed.
- Ability to receive direction and instructions from and communicate effectively with the Recreation Specialist.
- Willing to communicate with other volunteers on any matters that might arise while planning for a hike or while on the trail.
- Follow the City of Vancouver Employee Policies and work in accordance with the City of Vancouver Operating Principles.
- Physically able to hike up to 7 miles with elevation gains of up to 800 feet.
- Possess good communication skills and interact well with the public and provide assistance
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Possess a valid Washington or Oregon State Driver’s License.
- Possess and keep current Basic First Aid/CPR and Blood Borne Pathogen certifications or be willing to obtain these in the immediate future.
- Be willing, able and confident to drive a 15 passenger van and/or a para-transit van and complete a driving test.
- Ability to operate equipment such as a two-way radio, GPS locator and cell phone.
All hikes meet at the Luepke Senior Center. Actual hike locations vary weekly
Year-round primarily Tuesdays (some Mondays) from 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. although times may vary.
Volunteers must be at least 50 years of age.
Background Check Required?
As a volunteer you will not have to pay for your participation in a hike or for annual first aid and CPR certifications. You may be reimbursed up to $11 for any meals that you pay for on a hike.
Additionally, this is a great opportunity to meet new people, build people skills, have fun, stay fit, explore the Pacific Northwest!
For more information contact Becky Anderson at 360-487-7084
Other Volunteer Opportunities