Overview of Fees

Press Release Date:
Monday, May 1, 2017

Family playing with giant beach ball at Fisher Basin Park

The City of Vancouver has a policy that a majority of operating costs for recreation facilities and programs should be covered by those who benefit from participation in them; this is called cost recovery. The City does partially subsidize recreation programs so that these services remain affordable and inclusive for the entire community.

Fee Changes for 2017

Vancouver Parks and Recreation is making changes to fees in 2017 due to increasing costs. One of the largest cost increases for 2017 is a change to Washington State's minimum wage. Initiative 1433 (approved by 57 percent of Washington voters in November 2016) increased the minimum wage from $9.47 to $11, resulting in a pay increase for many Parks and Recreation staff members. The minimum wage is scheduled to increase incrementally each year until 2020.

To address the costs of doing business and support the City's cost recovery policy, we've raised fees for many programs between 4 and 8 percent beginning May 1, 2017. We are planning for an adjustment to facility passes in the fall. We will continue to work hard to minimize costs going forward to keep them within reach for the community.

Resident vs Non-Resident Fees

City residents pay a little less (roughly 15 percent) for recreation programs as an acknowledgement of the increased financial support they provide through their taxes. Not sure if you live within Vancouver City limits? Use one of the options below to see if you qualify for the resident fee rate.

If you have an existing account with us, we have confirmed your residency status based on the address we have for your account. If you register for classes online, you will automatically get the fee associated with your residency status.

An annual resident card is available by paying a one-time non-refundable $70 fee. This provides you with resident rates on all activities for everyone in your household for 12 months.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is changing in 2017?
We have increased most fees for programs effective May 1. Current fees are listed on the website (click any green Register button) and in the catalog.

Q: Do you offer financial assistance?
Yes! The Everybody Plays! Recreation Scholarship provides assistance to qualifying families in Clark County to use for youth (age 18 and younger) and Access to Recreation participants.

Q: What if I want to make a change to my account?
Please come in to one of our facilities or call to make changes to your account (adding family members, updating address or other information). Changes must be made by the 24th day of the current month to be in effect by the next billing cycle.

Q: How do you define a city resident?
A resident is defined as an individual or business whose permanent residence is within the Vancouver city limits. You may also receive residency rates if you own property in the city. Please note that while you may have a Vancouver mailing address, you may not live within city limits. The boundaries set by the U.S. Post Office and Vancouver and Evergreen School Districts are different than the incorporated city limit boundaries. A PO box or PMB address is not a valid means of determining residence. You must provide the permanent physical address of your residence or address for your business (if you own one).

Q: Do resident and non-resident rates apply to businesses?
Yes. For businesses that want to make reservations, resident rates would apply for a physical address within Vancouver city limits. An owner of a business that has a physical address within the city may also receive resident status for the personal account.