Auto Theft Prevention
The Vancouver Police Department is committed to crime prevention and has partnered with the Washington Auto Theft Prevention Authority to reduce auto theft and related crime in our community.
Vancouver Police Auto Theft Prevention Program
Thanks to a grant from the Washington Auto Theft Prevention Authority (WATPA), the Vancouver Police Department will distribute steering wheel locking devices as part of our auto theft prevention program.
Steering wheel locking devices act as a deterrent, when used properly and consistently, in combination with other auto theft prevention strategies. They provide high visual deterrence as well as an unauthorized use deterrent.
While supplies last, these vehicle anti-theft devices will be available at events for Vancouver community members meeting specific criteria.
How Do I Get A Steering Wheel Locking Device?
The Vancouver Police Department has a limited supply of steering wheel locking devices available for individuals who live or work within the city limits of Vancouver AND meet at least ONE of the following criteria:
- You are the registered owner of a 1990-2000 Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.
- You have had your vehicle stolen at least once in the past 12 months AND have a police report documenting the theft.
Photo ID, a Vehicle Registration showing ownership of one of the above-listed vehicles (address must match photo ID) and a Police Report if you are the prior victim of auto theft will be required to obtain a steering wheel locking device.
Auto Theft Prevention Tips
- Take your keys. One of five vehicles stolen had the keys in them.
- Lock Your Car. Almost half of all vehicles stolen are left unlocked.
- Don’t ‘Hide’ A Second Set of Keys In Your Car.
- Don’t Leave Your Car Running Unattended.
- Don’t Leave Valuables In Your Car.
- Use A Theft Deterrent. Steering wheel locking devices and alarms provide deterrents against thefts.
For additional auto theft prevention tips from the Washington Auto Theft Prevention Authority visit WATPA at: www.waautotheftpreventionauthority.org.