Street Use & Right-of-Way Permits

Street Use and Right-of-Way Permits allow residents, organizations, property owners and businesses to use the public street right-of-way for purposes other than for the usual automobile, pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Examples are parades, walks, construction of curbs or sidewalks, landscaping, building signs and sidewalk sales which take place in the public street right-of-way.

The term “Right-of-Way” refers mainly to the community-owned areas of legally open municipal streets, sidewalks, alleys, parkways and any other public land.

In addition to obtaining a Street Use or Right-of-Way Permit, Traffic Control Plans, Hold Harmless Agreements, Insurance, Fees, Special License, other Permits and Conditions of Approval may also be required. These are needed because unusual uses of the pavement and sidewalk areas of public streets could disturb auto and pedestrian traffic and cause safety hazards. Plans must be made to protect public health, street safety and the city’s pleasant environment. To do this, police, fire and other city service areas may need to be consulted and provide services for these events. The Permit process assures that all these things are being planned for. Please see below for more details and contact information.

What types of permits are available?

Street Use Permit

Street Use Permits are required for short-term or temporary special events. Street Use Permits include the following types listed below.

Click here to fill out a copy and print your requested Street Use Permit.

  • Block Party
  • Film Set
  • Mobile Food Vendor (Food Truck)
  • Sidewalk Vending Unit
  • Outdoor Seating
  • Parade  
  • Run 
  • Walk
  • POD Unit
  • Garbage Container or Drop Box
  • Sidewalk Sale
  • Street Mural
  • Long-Term Right-of-Way (Type D) - These type of permits are required for building into or extending over the right-of-way. This could include bus shelters, business signs, canopies, fences, footings, mailboxes, monitoring wells, planters and retaining walls.

A Hold Harmless Agreement is also required for the following street use permit types:

Traffic Control Plan

Traffic Control Plans are required for any project or event in the public right-of-way that could potentially create safety hazards or traffic congestion. Plans are needed for sidewalk sales, parades, walking events, temporary storage of materials and equipment, tree removal, small do-it-yourself projects and contractor-built projects such as driveways, sidewalks, landscaping and cable and pipe installation. Click here to view a sample Traffic Control Plan to help in your submission.

Click here to fill out a Traffic Control Plan application on-line and print.

Please note that these lists are not all inclusive. If your event or activity is not listed above and you are unsure whether or not you need a permit, please contact Vancouver Public Works.

Traffic Engineering and Operations
Phone: 360-487-7729